Instrument of Government:
Voluntary Aided Schools
This Instrument of Government replaces the Instruments of Government made by Surrey County Council for Shere Church of England Infant School and Nursery and Clandon Church of England Primary School that came into effect on 1st September 2014 and 1st September 2016 respectively.
- The name of the federation is Newlands Church of England School Federation.
- The schools in the federation are voluntary aided schools.
- The names of the schools in the federation are Shere Church of England Infant School and Nursery and Clandon Church of England Primary School.
- The name of the governing body is “the governing body of Newlands Church of England School Federation”.
- The governing body shall consist of:
- 1 Headteacher
- 1 Staff governor
- 2 parent governors
- 1 Local Authority governor
- 9 Foundation governors
- The total number of governors is fourteen.
- Seven Foundation governors are appointed as follows:
- The Guildford Diocesan Board of Education shall appoint three Foundation governors.
- The Parochial Church Council of the parish of West Clandon in the Diocese of Guildford and in the county of Surrey shall appoint one Foundation governor.
- The Parochial Church Council of the parish of East Clandon in the Diocese of Guildford and in the county of Surrey shall appoint one Foundation governor.
- The Parochial Church Council of the Parish of Shere, incorporating the villages of Gomshall, Peaslake and Shere, shall appoint two Foundation governors.
- The holder of the following offices shall be a foundation governor ex-officio:
- Principal Officiating Minister of the Joint Benefice of West and East Clandon in the Diocese of Guildford and in the county of Surrey.
- Principal Officiating Minister of the Joint Benefice of Shere, Albury and Chilworth in the Diocese of Guildford and in the county of Surrey.
Reference in this instrument to a principal officiating minister is a reference:
- if the school is for the time being situated in an ecclesiastical parish, to the Rector or Vicar of the parish or, in the case of a team ministry, to the Team Rector; or
- if the ecclesiastical parish has no Rector or Vicar, to the priest in charge thereof; or
- if the school is for the time being situated in a conventional district, to the curate in charge.
- The Archdeacon of Surrey shall appoint a foundation governor to act in the place of the ex-officio foundation governor whose governorship derives from the office names in (a) above, in the event that that ex-officio foundation governor is unable or unwilling to act as a foundation governor, or there is a vacancy in the office by virtue of which his governorship exists, or in the event that the ex-officio foundation governor has been removed from office under regulation 21 (1) of the Regulations
- The Archdeacon of Surrey is entitled to request the removal of any ex-officio governor and appoint any substitute governor.
- Shere C of E School has a Trust which is lodged with Lee Bolton & Lee. Clandon C of E School has a Trust which is lodged at Diocesan House.
- Ethos Statement
The Federation of Shere Church of England (VA) Infant School and Nursery and Clandon Church of England (VA) Primary School will provide education in accordance with the principles of the Church of England and in partnership with the Church at parish and diocesan level.
The Federation aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. The Federation will encourage an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers to all its pupils.
- This instrument of government comes into effect on 19th April 2021.
- This instrument was made by order of Surrey County Council on 23rd March 2021.
- A copy of the instrument must be supplied free of charge to every member of the governing body including associate members, any trustees and to the appropriate religious body (and the Headteacher if not a governor).
A signed facsimile of this instrument of government is available below.